Some people grew very concerned about the sanitation of bathrooms in my dorm in the 2010–11 school year. Rather than unproductively join the circular argument that my dorm-mates were having, I looked around and talked to people.
I first interviewed some residents and observed the bathrooms in order to identify components of the concept of bathroom sanitation. I then performed more structured observations sent questionnaires to residents. I also reviewed emails related to bathroom sanitation.
Findings suggest that urine on toilets is the most important issue to residents and that room trash in bathrooms is important to Facilities Management but not to residents. Bathrooms seemed dirtier in more public or more frequently used hallways within the building, such as the main hallways and the lower floors. Also, sex of the residents of a hallway seems related to whether urine and hair show up on toilet seats.
The identification of environmental factors influencing bathroom sanitation might be useful residents who are selecting a room in Risley for the coming year. Well that's obvious. More interestingly, the variation in sanitation across bathrooms may partially explain why people disagreed about the conditions of the bathrooms.
More importantly, I proposed some novel strategies for maintaining cleanliness; before reading the resulting paper, my dormmates' only approach was to yell at each other.
More like this
- A functional ergonomic analysis of public toilets
- A functional ergonomic analysis of public toilets Thomas Levine, 2010 I present a haphazard ergonomic analysis of the public toilet. I am concerned with the system surrounding the toilet seat; I a...
- The Hovering Cycle
- Western sitting-style toilets are presumably intended to be used in a seated position, (McClelland & Ward, 1982) except when used by males for exclusively urination. A sign on a bathroom i...
- *IMPORTANT* LISTSERV CHANGES (squidserve)
- Hello everyone. Yes I mean everyone, this email is especially for people that hate spam! There is a new list serve called Squidserve!! A wet and squishy welcome to you all. Here's the squirt ...